Controlling Biff

Eric P. Scott eps at toaster.SFSU.EDU
Thu Feb 15 21:45:05 AEST 1990

In article <1579 at husc6.harvard.edu> schisto at popvax.harvard.edu (]none) writes:
>    I would very much like to control the "biff" command.  As i've
>seen in the 4.3BSD manual and our on-line Ultrix 3.0 manual, i only
>have the option of turning biff on or off.

This is because all biff does is set or clear a permission bit on
your login terminal.  RTFM for comsat--that's what's actually
doing the notification.  If you find it a bit inflexible, look in
the comp.sources.unix archives for "improved" replacements.  [Yes,
they'd need to be installed by a superuser.]

					-=EPS=-