process group question

Martin Kirk mkirk at zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk
Sat Feb 10 08:17:58 AEST 1990

>From article <1336 at gapprd.gapos.bt.co.uk>, by steve at gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve A Rooke):
> With all this talk about job-control I feel like a poor relation still
> working on an AT&T (based) SVR2 :-)

You get it all in V.4 (everything you ever heard of is in there!!)

> So that's what all those funny kill/ioctl calls do, I thought they were
> just something to make BSD look better :-) * :-) <thats a smilley squared

Actually, the BSD job contol was fairly brain-damaged. It did not
preserve terminal modes between job sitches. The System V shell layers
code got this right. Frankly, job control is simply just poor-mans
windows.

> How about a `bt.i.wish.i.had' newsgroup.  It would go down a bundle here.

Now theres a thought. Any suggestions.

Martin

E-Mail:       MKirk at axion.bt.co.uk (...mcvax!ukc!axion!mkirk)
Snail Mail:   BTRL, Rm 306A SSTF, Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH IP5 7RE, UK
Telephone:    +44 473 642518            Fax: +44 473 643019
Quote:        "It has been stated somewhere that men can be divided into
	       two classes - those who can and those who can not stop a dog
	       fight."          "Bulldog Drummond at Bay" by "Sapper"