RPC programming

Pow-Hwee Tan tph at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 27 12:56:16 AEST 1990

Howdy!

I have just started doing some NFS programming using RPC and XDR, and
have the following questions which I hope some of you can enlighten
me.

1.  I am using the intermediate RPC layer of function calls as described
in Sun's documenation.  The two functions calls I used are callprc and
registerrpc.  Both of these functions require a program number as
parameter.  As I understand from the documentation, I can use the numbers
in the range 0x20000000 - 0x3fffffff.  Am I right?  Or do I need to
make some kind of call to find out what number I should use?

2.  The XDR serializing/deserializing routines do not explicitly free
the memory allocated.  How can I free them myself?

Thanks in advance for any help.

---
P.H. Tan
tph at cs.utexas.edu