Stopping or foregrounding a background job.

A JETSON News User cosc6bp at elroy.uh.edu
Tue Feb 13 06:39:55 AEST 1990

Greetings,

I have a C data gathering program running in the background. It is set up to
execute a final statistics gathering routine when I bring it into the
foreground and stop it via Ctrl-C.  It works really well except when I have
to bring it back into the foreground after I have logged out.  How does
one do this?  At that point you can't %number or fg number it into the
foreground.  All I can get on it is it's process id from ps aux.  Killing
it doesn't seem to work as I have tried putting signal(SIGKILL, handler) in
the program.  The manual seems to confirm that this won't work.
It's a system of Sun 3/50 -60's.  So finally:

    . Is there any command to bring the job into the foreground after
    you have logged out?

    . Is there a signal that I can put into the program that I can stop it
    while still in the background?

    . Any other way to make the program print out the statistics it has
    gathered to date and stop.

Ignacio Valdes