Rlogin and control-S on SGI sysV machines.

Keith Goldfarb keith at celia.UUCP
Thu Feb 22 17:11:21 AEST 1990

While using rlogin on sgi machines, -ixon mode is set on the
tty on the local host.  This makes the ^S and ^Q go through
untouched to the remote host who then interprets them.  This
allows programs that use them as special characters (such as
emacs) to hear them.  However, when using them as xon/xoff,
since the ^S is being sent to the remote host, there is often
a great delay between the time it is typed and the time that
the text stops scrolling.  I assume that this is due to buffered
up text somewhere.  By manually setting ixon mode on the local
tty, I can make the ^S be interpreted locally, and hence its
effect is immediate.  However, programs that use it meaningfully
never get it (unless it is preceded by a ^V, but that is a
hassle).  My question is, how can I get the best of both worlds --
a ^S that works when I type it, and that is heard by the remote
host?

K.
--
Keith Goldfarb              Rhythm & Hues
celia!keith at tis.llnl.gov    celia!keith at usc.edu    ...mlogic!celia!keith