Unix Jargon File wanted

Charles Packer packer at chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Feb 3 03:45:37 AEST 1990

In article <22303 at adm.BRL.MIL> ZZASSGL%cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:
>I am looking for a Unix jargon file to include in a guide to the
>The readers of the guide may never have used a computer before - never
>mind Unix!

Anyone who anticipates being introduced to computers through Unix
should crawl in a hole and die.

For example, it's possible to create files inadvertently whose very
names make it impossible to delete them without special contortions.
I learned this the first time a file whose name was preceded by a
"-" materialized in my directory.  The "man" writeup on rm contained
the clue I needed, as I recall.  I now have a file called "520-529 top25"
I'm thinking about deleting someday. Somewhere in the man pages for
rm there must be the clue to that too, when I'm in the mood for manese.