Counting files created in /tmp

Clarence Dold dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Sat Feb 3 08:28:59 AEST 1990

in article <22031 at unix.cis.pitt.edu>, yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) says:

> So the answer to his question about a SIMPLE way to keep track of what
> has happened in temp, assuming he knows when he wants to look at it,
> is:

> ls -la /tmp

The majority of files created in /tmp are removed, but still open.
I might assume that the reason someone is looking in the first place would
be to justify a separate file system for /tmp, or something equally useful.
ls of any variety doesn't tell the story adequately.

tmpfile(3S) creates a file in /tmp with a unique name, then immediately
unlinks it.  The name goes away, but the disk utilization remains.

If I cared about the file usage in /tmp, I would be more concerned about
the disk utilization, not just the names, or lack thereof.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold at tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293