Needed: Good Unix book

Andy Clews andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 04:00:25 AEST 1990

>From article <2158 at syma.sussex.ac.uk>, by andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews):
> Digital Equipment Corporation publish a book called something like "UNIX
> for VMS Users" which sounds like just the thing you want.

Further to this, I can now give more details and an overview of this
book. Thanks to Lez Oxley for allowing me to quote him.

[Start quote]
Reference numbers printed on back of book are:

Order number EY-C177E-DP
             DP ISBN 1-55558-034-3
             PH ISBN 0-13-947433-1
Written by Philip E. Bourne, Published by Digital Press

The book is intended to help people mold the interactive computing
skills that they learned using VMS into the skills necessary for
computing in the UNIX framework. It is not meant to be a UNIX user's
manual, nor is it designed to teach UNIX from first principles.

 Contents

 1 Introduction
 2 Fundamentals
 3 Getting started
 4 Introductory File Management
 5 Editing
 6 Communication with other users
 7 Monitoring & Utilizing System Resources
 8 Devices, Queues & Background Processing
 9 Advanced File Management
10 Programming
11 Shell Programming
12 Text Processing
13 Processor-to-Processor Communications

Appendix A - shows a very useful command summaries:

 1 VMS Commands with UNIX Equivalents
 2 UNIX Commands with No VMS Equivalents

There is also an appendix comparing the EDT editor with ex and vi.

All in all we've found it to be a very useful and informative book and I
would recommend it to anyone with liitle or no experience of unix
comming from a background like ours.
[End Quote]

Hope this is useful.

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk at uk.ac