limits on sockets

Jerome Freedman freedman at granite.cr.bull.com
Thu Feb 22 07:57:08 AEST 1990

 I have some related questions on sockets

1) a read (or write) on a socket involves a buffer in
which the data to be read/written is contained. This buffer
can be adjusted, according to TFM, but what are the
limits of the adjustment. What is the default size?

2) Suppose I get more data (TCP socket) then I have buffer
for how can I avoid dropping bytes on the floor when I
read.

3) What if I am writing data (TCP socket - in fact all questions
refer to TCP sockets)

                                      Jerry Freedman,Jr