converting filenames to System V length

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Thu Feb 8 12:39:00 AEST 1990

In article <2903 at auspex.auspex.com>, guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> >Actually, it does.  AT&T SVID compliant system V normally uses the
> >"system V" filesystem - with a 14-character filename limit.
> If you can find anything in the SVID that calls for a 14-character
> filename limit, I'll eat all four volumes of the SVID, Third Edition.

Guy wins.  SVID Issue 2 Volume III page 28:

"file-name
 Strings consisting of 1 to {NAME_MAX} characters may be used to name an
 ordinary file, a special file or a directory.  {NAME_MAX} must be at least
 14.  These characters may be selected from the set of all character values
 excluding the characters "null" and "slash" (/)."

I doubt that SVID 3e has gotten any more restrictive.  Guy will have to look
for other culinary delights than "SVID 3e in a white wine sauce".
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john at frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw at eddie.mit.edu