Counting files created in /tmp

Joy-lim Shaw shaw at hpihoah.HP.COM
Fri Feb 2 14:45:43 AEST 1990

/ hpihoah:comp.unix.questions / jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) / 10:33 am  Jan 31, 1990 /

>  I guess that you might consider what the original poster is trying to
>do as a "traffic map" of /tmp -- what files get put there most often,
>from what programs, and how many are there?  There are no simple
>solutions to a question like this, and without modifying the kernel in
>some way, there is almost certainly no way to get a 100% accurate set of data.

I agree.  There may even be "temporary" files that a process creates and
immediately unlinks.  This allows the process to access a file that will
disappear after the process terminates.

The question  here is:  WHAT DOES THE ORIGINAL  POSTER  REALLY WANT?  If
the original  poster could be more  specific, a kludge maybe  available.
Send e-mail to me at shaw%hpda at hplabs.hp.com  as I don't read notes on a
regular bases.

Also... (I'm nit picking here so please ignore)

1)	you can  leave  out the -l  option  of ls() in "ls -la | wc -l",
	since you're just counting the output (ls() will use  unformated
	output when it's not talking to a terminal (You knew that)).

2)	You'll also be counting two extra  outputs (.  and ..)  with the
	-a option.  Root by default will list  invisible  dot files out,
	but a regular user will have to use ls -A.

shaw