21st Century UN*X - Bugs??

John Sloan,8292,X1243,ML44E jsloan at ncar.ucar.edu
Sat Feb 17 08:46:57 AEST 1990

>From article <3222 at umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU>, by rhealey at umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Rob Healey):
> In article <2198 at syma.sussex.ac.uk> stevedc at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen D Carter) writes:
		:
	[quoting from a newspaper article]
		:
		:
> 	Due to the lazyness and lack of foresite of certain programmers alot of
> 	PROGRAMS under ALL forms of computers and OS's will not make it

If this article is really discussing problems with handling 21st
century dates, then [A] I grossly misunderstood the intent (which now
seems obvious), and [B] the author of the original newspaper article
apparently doesn't have anything better to write about. C'mon, there
was an entire _book_ published a few years ago predicting doom and the
ultimate collapse of society as the clock ticked past 23:59:59 on
December 31, 1999. Sheesh... as Rob Healey pointed out, that's hardly
a problem... less of a problem for UNIX users than when the Congress
changed the date that daylight savings time changed by a week.

But since I rather stupidly bought the topic up, anyone want to take
a guess as to what _will_ be the 21st century UNIX equivalent?

	Mach?
	Plan 9?
	5.9BSD?
	POSIX?
	System VI?
	OSFix?

John Sloan            NCAR/SCD             NSFnet: jsloan at ncar.ucar.edu
+1 303 497 1243       P.O. Box 3000        UUCP:        ...!ncar!jsloan
AMA #515306           Boulder CO 80307     BITNET:   jsloan%ncar at ncario
Logical Disclaimer: belong(opinions,jsloan).belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.