how to set timezone in BSD

Roger Jagoda rogerj at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Sat Feb 24 10:39:39 AEST 1990

In article <2959 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>How do you set the timezone on a BSD system?  It defaults to Pacific
>>time.
>>
>>I am running AOS, IBM's port of BSD for the RT, which is very close
>>to the real thing.
>>
>>Please *post* the answer, don't mail it.

You got it! Look under /etc (whatever the equivalent is). There should be
also a directory called "zoneinfo" or "TZ" or something like that. Now,
look in that directory for something that looks like a system variable.
On the system I use it's called "localtime." To set the time on this
system, we link (hard link) EST5EDT to that file (ln EST5EDT localtime).
Then used "date" to set the time correctly. A restart of the kernel will
then make sure all your time-stamps are correct.

But then, that's my system, your mileage probably will vary!

Roger Jagoda
FQOJ at CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

My management doesn't even like paying me, let alone acknowledging I work
 for them!