^M 's in uploaded text files.

Robert Breckinridge Beatie breck at aimt.UU.NET
Fri Feb 2 13:20:52 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb1.193031.11699 at iwarp.intel.com>, merlyn at iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
> In article <1990Feb1.164704.23581 at athena.mit.edu>, jik at athena (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> |   tr -d "\012" < filename > filename.new
>
> Bzzzt.  Can't combine that sorta quoting.  tr will get '012' as an
> argument, not '\012', so what you wanted was either:
> 	"\\012"
> or
> 	'\012'

Well, I've been wrong before, so I might be wrong now.  But, isn't '\012'
the same as '\n' or the new-line character?
Didn't the original poster want to know how to strip '^M' or carriage-return
characters from his uploaded files?  Shouldn't he be coing a:
	tr -d '\015' < filename > filename.new
?
--
Breck Beatie	    				(408)748-8649
{uunet,ames!coherent}!aimt!breck  OR  breck at aimt.uu.net
"2 does not equal 3.  Not even for very large values of 2."
		- Roy Smith