make removed my source file

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Sun Feb 18 19:40:27 AEST 1990

I am using SunOS 4.0.3 on a Sun 3/260.  Here is my Makefile:
# Unix Makefile for xxencode and xxdecode
# This is my first unix makefile, so be kind...

all: xxencode.c
	cc -o xxencode xxencode.c
	/bin/rm -f xxdecode
	ln xxencode xxdecode

Here is are the filenames on my directory:
Makefile README xxdecode xxencode xxencode.c xxencode.l xxencode.man

Here is what it did when I typed 'make':
rm -f xxencode.c
lex  -t xxencode.l > xxencode.c
(lex diagnostics)
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xxencode.c'

I was lucky that I had recently backed up my files, so not many changes
were lost.  I do not understand why these commands were executed instead
of the ones I specified in my Makefile.

Bitnet:   david at wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios at wugate.wustl.edu   < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wugate!wubios!david         v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110