Killing the correct process

Maarten Litmaath maart at cs.vu.nl
Thu Feb 22 06:44:34 AEST 1990

In article <5405 at buengc.BU.EDU>,
	bph at buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
)...
)I'm talking about timing-out someone's login, possibly 12-20 hours
)after the killer-process has been started.  Plenty of time.

I think you need a new system call like `killtree()' or `killsession()' to
solve your problem completely:

-	you cannot kill all his processes, as you must leave background
	processes and processes on other terminals alone
-	process groups aren't the answer either

Therefore there's a time window between determining which processes have to
be killed, and actually killing them.  During this interval the user may have
created new processes.
--
  "Ever since the discovery of domain addresses in the French cave paintings
  [...]"  (Richard Sexton)      |  maart at cs.vu.nl,  uunet!mcsun!botter!maart