Directory tree tools

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Fri Feb 2 09:53:22 AEST 1990

In article <8722 at unix.SRI.COM>, ric at ace (Richard Steinberger) writes:

|     I received such helpful responses to my query about command line
| editing tools that I thought I would ask for suggestions about another
| possible Unix tool.  At the moment the only utility I have to sketch out a
| directory tree is the following:
[deleted]
|     While this works well enough, i.e., it does draw a picture of a a
| directory tree, what would be really nice is a tool that draws the tree,
| then highlights the current directory (inverse video perhaps), and allows
| the user to navigate to a new directory, rename a directory, move a
| directory to a new node on the tree, or delete a directory, using arrow keys
| and other keys as appropriate.  Also useful would be the ability to get a
| brief listing of the files in the current directory (wherever the user has
| traveled to using arrow keys) without leaving the utility.

Most Emacs-es have a directory editor built in.  I have a nifty one
that I've been using called "monkey" for GNU emacs that does most of
what you asked for (which I can send you, if you mail me).

Just another Unix hacker,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |