printing postscript files

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Tue Feb 20 02:53:38 AEST 1990

In article <6461 at cps3xx.UUCP> davisd at cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:
>Hi,
>  I was wondering if anyone out there prints Mac generated postscript
>files using Unix.  I've been trying with no luck.  Here's what I do:
>	Usually from inside MS Word 4.0, at the print dialog after clicking
>	OK I hit command-K.  It creates a postscript file, and then I
>	kermit the file over to Unix.  I then use "lpr" and the file
>	prints as if it was a text file. I get pages and pages of
>	postsciprt commands.
>  Is there something I'm forgetting to do?
>-Dug

I'll ask the stupid question first.  Do you actually have a PostScript
printer attached?  What printer is it?  (Always try to give as much
information as possible to forestall these dumb questions.)

Assuming that you have a PostScript printer of some type there are two
possibilities that I can think of.  The printer may have been set up
to  emulate some other sort of printer such as a QMS with the switch
set to Diablo mode.  The other possibility is that the default printer
is filtered through an ASCII printer emulator.  Perhaps you have more
than one logical printer device with the default being for standard
printing and optional ones for PostScript, HP, etc.  Check with your
system administrator on both these questions.  If you are the system
administrator then I would suspect the switch possibility as the most
likely solution.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.