Sys V uugetty problem

Chris Preston cbp at icc.com
Sat Feb 24 17:23:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb19.052909.24336 at csusac.csus.edu> porterg at csusac.UUCP (Greg Porter) writes:

>Do you have an entry in your your /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file?  If the
>proper entry for the type and speed of your equipment is not there it
>will not work.  A few examples:
>
>ACU tty01 - 2400 att2224b
>Direct tty00 - 9600 direct
>--

   Having read a dozen or more articles on this thread, and having sent mail
to the original source of the question, maybe a followup is appropriate.

   There is a problem with uugetty in some versions of System V 3.2 (under
various other version names) by various vendors.  Some uugetty versions
apparently have problems with some types of modems (e.g. Avatex 2400).
The solution we implemented was to get a PD program called modem-ctl,
Volume 15, Issue 10.  It replaces uugetty altogether.  We have been using
it for about six months and have had no problems dialing in or out
using uucp/cu/kermit/younameit.  It also has a timeout feature that
alows disconnection after a given period of inactivity.  The author's
last known (to us) posting follows:

[Reposted without permission of the author becuause I have no idea how
to contact him]
>Submitted-by: Dave Settle <No net address>
>Posting-number: Volume 15, Issue 10
>Archive-name: modem-ctl

>[  Seems oriented toward System V-oid machines...  --r$  ]
>
>	I'm submitting the new version of 'modem', a program
>to allow a line connected to a modem to be used for bi-directional
>uucp/cu accesses.
>
>	It functionally replaces 'uugetty', but provides a more sophisticated
>method of talking to intelligent modems, which can screw up uugetty by
>talking too much.
>
>	The new version now has support for hardware DCD detection, which
>allows the shell to be hungup when the line is dropped.
>
>Cheers,
>	Dave.
Hope this helps.

cbp

Disclaimer: --al knows tofu!  Hiya --al!