bcopy() bzero()

Eli B. Charne echarne at orion.oac.uci.edu
Sun Feb 11 09:13:34 AEST 1990

larryd1 at attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Larry Clark) writes:

>	I'm porting sources from the bsd world into a Sys V environment
>	and need an explanation of bcopy() and bzero().  Would someone
>	in a bsd environment explain the parameters of each call and
>	possibly map them to memcpy() and memset()?

     Well, here's how bcopy and bzero work:

	 bcopy(b1, b2, length)
	 char *b1, *b2;
	 unsigned int length;

     bcopy() Copies length bytes from the "string" b1, and copies them into
     string b2.  I was under the impression this was exactly what memcpy()
     does, but perhaps the order of arguments is changed.

	 bzero(b, length)
	 char *b;
	 unsigned int length;

    bzero() just sets length bytes pointed to by b, to the value zero.

					       Hope this helps

						    -Eli

--
--------
Eli B. Charne              INTERNET: echarne at ORION.OAC.UCI.EDU