Problems with su

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Feb 15 16:13:06 AEST 1990

In article <19379 at grebyn.com> rhodes at grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:
>exception.  I can only login as root.  Whenever I try another username,
>it gives me the initial login banner and then says "no shell".  If I log

The problem is either in the passwd file or with /bin/sh itself.

Verify that /bin/sh has a mode of at least 555 and that the
passwd entries for whatever user's you are trying to login as are
actually set up to run /bin/sh (or get it as the default).

This error message will also show up under some system V.3s if the login program
is not an executable file (i.e you can't have a shell command file as the
login shell).