How to get the pathname of the current executable?

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 08:02:41 AEST 1990

In article <5378 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
> someone please tell me why which(1) reads the .cshrc...

If you're asking "why does which(1) assume I use csh", then:

Different shells potentially interpret commands in completely different
ways.  A command like which *has* to depend on your shell.  It seems clear
to me that which should be built-in to csh and sh - that way it would
always be right.

-- Richard
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin