Sys V uugetty problem

Steve Ward stevewa at upvax.UUCP
Sat Feb 17 17:55:53 AEST 1990

In article <97213 at linus.UUCP> rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org writes:
>In article <20286 at bcsaic.UUCP> carroll at bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>>	uugetty handles incoming calls OK, but when I try to use cu to
>>dial out, it doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
>>cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".

>I wish I could help you, but I can only agree with you. I normally use
>kermit to dial out, and when I have uugetty running on my serial port
>kermit will run fine, but when I tell it to connect to the tty it
>just hangs... no error message or anything, it just freezes.

The problem seems to be with kermit.  I think it's not putting the lock file
where uugetty expects to see it, or something.  I have to manually turn off
the uugetty to use kermit, but cu _usually_ works OK.  Sometimes even turning
off uugetty isn't enough, and I have to reboot with the uugetty turned off in
order to make everyone happy.

If someone has solved this problem for real, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post your
solution!!!!!!

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa at upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |