making compressed backups

Martin H. Brooks mb33 at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Jan 17 08:30:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan13.020205.3660 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <1990Jan12.092215.1567 at aai.uu.net>, leo at aai.uu.net (Leo Pinard) writes:
>> find /usr -depth -print  | cpio -oBmc | compress | dd of=/dev/rmt8
>
>	1. You should do a cd /usr; find . -depth...
>	2. In order to make the tape stream you probably should specify
>	   an output block size of something like 1024k.

Unless your "cpio" is different from mine, use the "a" option instead
of the "m".  The "a" option resets the access time after a file is
backed up so that it appears not to have been accessed by the backup.
On my "cpio", the "m" option is not available with the "o" output
mode.

--
Martin H. Brooks  -  Georgia Institute of Technology
U.S. Mail: GTRI/RAIL/MAD/EMB 0800, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332
Internet:  mb33 at prism.gatech.edu