Compress problem

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at mars.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 16 03:33:33 AEST 1990

>In article <493 at dhump.lakesys.COM> mort at dhump.lakesys.COM (Mort d`Hump)
>writes:
>I am having trouble using compress to de-compress large .Z files.
>
>The operation terminates with a "File too large" error.

The problem is probably your ULIMIT;  you have three options, that I know of,
1) set ULIMIT higher in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune and rebuild kernel.
2) set ULIMIT higher in /etc/defaults/login.
3) as root, type ulimit <big number><CR>.

Then try uncompressing your large .Z file.  I ran into this while trying to
uncompress gcc on my unix pc running ESIX.  The default ULIMIT allows files
about 2Meg, while the uncompressed tar is about 8Meg.  For an 8Meg file, you
need a ulimit of 16384, since ulimit is expressed in blocks of 512 bytes.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb at mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley