Passwords and salts

andre andre at targon.UUCP
Thu Jan 11 23:10:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan8.232650.6615 at i88.isc.com> daveb at i88.isc.com (Dave Burton) writes:
>Oh, yes, *I'm* the sysadm for my machine. Really. Could you send me a copy?
>
>That is not being responsible - you have no way of verifying this truth of
>this statement. Besides, I may be the sysadm from my posting machine, but
>use the program on another which I'm not.

Oh yes you can! If you want to check this, just ask the person in question
to re-mail the request as root from his machine and then mail the sources
to the same root. This way even if he succeeds in faking a uucp header, his
administrator will catch him.

Also to fix the 'sysadm of a tiny machine (xenix on your home pc)' problem,
you can restrict redistribution to sysadms of the bigger machines owned by
universities and companies, and trust that being a sysadm gave the person
some responsible behaviour.

--
The mail|    AAA         DDDD  It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
demon...|   AA AAvv   vvDD  DD        Ketchup is a vegetable.