Robust Mounts

urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de
Fri Jan 12 07:52:48 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.questions deke at ee.rochester.edu writes:
<
< In article <10284 at zodiac.ADS.COM> mliverig at spark.uucp writes:
< >A few months back there was a discussion about making "nfs" networks
< >robust. It was my impression that there was a consensus that:
< >
< >1) Soft mounts of read-write file systems would increase the risk of
< >corrupting the file systems.
<
How?

After all, whoever mounts the NFS volume is not doing any device-level stuff
(it's Network _File_, not _Volume_ System, after all ;-) ), so how could a
file system get corrupted?

If you mean that the internal structure of some files could get screwed up, on
the other hand, you're perfectly correct.

< I agree with this, and stick to it as a loose rule.  There are some occasions
< when I ignore it, after thinking it over carefully.
<
Such as? (Inquiring minds want to know...)

--
Matthias Urlichs