Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Mon Jan 15 04:30:48 AEST 1990

In article <ZQ01CS1xds13 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
-Perhaps you would like to abolish select(), poll(), VMIN, VTIME, and other
-such "warts". Actually, I'd love to do that... but only to replace them
-with one of those simple, clean, uniform, device independent concepts that
-UNIX is famous for.

That would be fine, and there are a handful of people working on such
an approach.  Unfortunately there are many more working on adding warts.

-Let's add 4 new system calls: aread, awrite, await, and status.
-This doesn't break any existing programs, nor does it do any injury to
-the design goals of UNIX.

Yes, it does!  Go back and read what I said in my previous message.