passwds and crypt(3)...

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Tue Jan 9 04:43:14 AEST 1990

In article <0000041 at cdis-1.UUCP>, tanner at cdis-1.UUCP (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
> Given a password file for a machine with fewer than 4096 users, a
> considerable savings of resources may be had by simply encrypting
> all probable passwords with only the seeds actually present in
> the password file.
>
> For a system with 10 legitimate users, you should need at most
> 10 encryptions \(em less if two or more passwords share a seed.

  This is true.  I was assuming that since the database being built is
very large, it would be useful to build it with all possible seeds and
then to use it to work on more than one file of passwords.

  After all, if you've got a machine with that much computron-power and
that much disk space, you don't want to waste it by only trying to break
into one machine, right :-)?

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710