RPC numbers

Stephen Vinoski vinoski at apollo.HP.COM
Wed Jan 17 02:33:00 AEST 1990

In article <148 at ingreur.UUCP> pve at ingreur.UUCP (new user) writes:
>I am trying to get a RPC number registered. I have tryed to
>email, send letters and contacted local SUN offices, but they either
>they did not respond or they refer to the RPC Administrator as mentioned
>in the SUN manuals.(but she/he is not responding !!!!!!)
>
>I would really appreciate any suggestions or tips on how to get it
>done. (Maybe someone from SUN is reading this ?? )

Too bad you're not using Apollo's NCS.  With it, there is no need to do this
ridiculous activity since NCS includes a program that generates Unique Universal
Identifiers (UUIDs) which are used to identify RPCs and remote objects.

>From "Network Computing Architecture", Lisa Zahn, et. al., Prentice-Hall, 1990,
ISBN 0-13-611674-4, page 11:

 "In addition, UUIDs can be generated anywhere without the need for prior
contact with some other agent, for example, contact with a special server on the
network, or a human representative of a company that hands out identifiers."

Pretty much hits the nail on the head, huh?

NCS is available for Suns, among other machines.

-steve

| Steve Vinoski       | Hewlett-Packard Apollo Div. | ARPA: vinoski at apollo.com |
| (508)256-6600 x5904 | Chelmsford, MA    01824     | UUCP: ...!apollo!vinoski |