style

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Wed Jan 3 13:02:30 AEST 1990

In article <920004 at hpavla.HP.COM>, rowland at hpavla.HP.COM (Fred Rowland) writes:
> There's a complete writeup of 'style' and its companion programs 'diction'
> and 'explain' in an article
>
>      Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs
>
>      L. L. Cherry and W. Vesterman
>
> dated November 22, 1980.  Unfortunately, my copy doesn't include the name
> of the journal, but I'd say there's a good chance that it was Communications
> of the ACM.  Good luck!

  You probably don't have to dig through any journals to find the
article.  The BSD and Ultrix source tapes both have it on-line in the
/usr/doc directory.

  On BSD systems, it's in /usr/doc/usd/32.diction, and on Ultrix systems
(at least according to the Ultrix3.0 sources), it's in /usr/doc/diction.
 The document is the same on both systems, and you should be able to
format and print it by cd'ing into the appropriate directory and typing
"tbl rm0 rm1 rm2 | troff -ms" (if troff doesn't work on your system, use
whatever form of roff does).

  I would offer to send it to you if you don't have it, but I'm not sure
if it's freely redistributable, since there is no copyright indicating
that in the source files, and it doesn't seem to be available for
anonymous ftp on uunet.uu.net in the bsd-sources directory.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-782-0710