Recalling Commands in Unix?

David Elliott dce at smsc.sony.com
Tue Jan 2 15:54:22 AEST 1990

In article <524 at oglvee.UUCP> norm at oglvee.UUCP (Norman Joseph) writes:
>From article <5141 at blake.acs.washington.edu>, by gnat at blake.acs.washington.edu (Laura Frazier):
>> Is there any command in Unix comparable to  ^B in VMS that will allow me
>> to recall previous commands instead of typing them repeatedly?
>>
>> Are there likewise commands like ^J , ^A, etc., that will edit
>> commands once I recall them?
<mentions ksh and csh>

In addition, don't count out ile, fep, reactivekb, and bash.

ile is a line-editor front-end written by Bob Pendleton.  It works in
the shell, or any time the tty is in canonical mode.

fep is a similar item to ile.  I forget the author's name, but I believe
it was someone from Japan.

reactivekb from Mark James et al is an AI keyboard input analyzer/guesser
(well, it's really more than that) with a line editor built in.

bash is the GNU Bourne-Again Shell from Brian Fox et al, and is an
extended shell (a la ksh) with a line editor and csh style history.

--
David Elliott
dce at smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce