(none)

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Jan 4 02:56:41 AEST 1990

In article <21937 at adm.BRL.MIL> gnma76%sun1.eng.glasgow.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (D.Ballance) writes:
| We have recently got an Intel-386 machine running Interactive Unix.  We
| want to be able to backup the disk on a tape drive on a remote Sun workstation.
| Does anyone do this, or can anyone point me at the correct part of TFM.

I assume that your remote shell command is called rsh, it might also
pretend to be rcmd. The trick is to pipe thru an rsh. The only major
problem is that if you want to use 'dump' you can backup but not restore
(thought you might want to know this BEFORE you "discovered" it).

find . -depth -print | cpio -oBc | rsh SUN dd bs=127b of=/dev/rst8
         |                              |         |    high density tape
         |                              |    this works for me
         |                       name of your Sun
if you have this option