Recalling Commands in Unix?

Emmett Hogan hogan at csl.sri.com
Fri Jan 5 12:58:46 AEST 1990

In article <5141 at blake.acs.washington.edu>,
 gnat at blake.acs.washington.edu (Laura Frazier) writes:
> Is there any command in Unix comparable to  ^B in VMS that will allow me
> to recall previous commands instead of typing them repeatedly?
>
> Are there likewise commands like ^J , ^A, etc., that will edit
> commands once I recall them?

Satam> On ULTRIX, a new "csh" is provided. It allows browsing thru'
Satam> commands like VMS using up-down arrow keys. Once the command is
Satam> recalled, it can be edited using "vi" like commands i.e. 'x'
Satam> for delete, 'i' for insert etc.

Satam> But, I am not aware of any other shell on any other UNIX doing
Satam> such things.

tcsh, available at most of the major FTP sites, provides you with
command line editing with Emacs commands as well as the arrow keys,
plus adds ALOT more to basic csh.  It can be compiled to work with
most of the major flavors of Unix and csh.

Emmett Hogan              Computer Science Lab, SRI International
Inet: hogan at csl.sri.com
UUCP: {ames, decwrl, pyramid, sun}!fernwood!hercules!hogan
USMAIL: BN179, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA  94025
PacBell: (415)859-3232 (voice), (415)859-2844 (fax)
ICBM: 37d 27' 14" North, 122d 10' 52" West