Who uses 'adb' debugger? (Supplementary to my own question.)

Kirtikumar Satam, ECE, UMASS Amherst satam at ecs.umass.edu
Fri Jan 12 04:27:35 AEST 1990

In article <50349 at bu.edu.bu.edu>, clement at buengf.bu.edu (Clement Lee) writes:
> It seems that cdb is a "not so popular" C debugger, and not many
> people know about it.  Okay, then after I have gone to check it out, I
> found out that it says "Copyright 1984 Third Eye Software, Inc." and
> the version number is 19040 (I am running UMAX 4.2, same as 4.2 BSD,
> on an Encore Multimax machine).  Also, in the on-line help, there is a
> subset of commands which says dbx subset.  (dbx was mentioned by
> Kirtikumar Satam, satam at ecs.umass.edu, in previous article.)
>
> My friend in CS told me that gdb (GNU) and cdb are better than sdb or
> adb, and gdb is the best, but to run gdb, the C program has to be
> compiled by gcc.  But I still have no idea of what is better.
>
> If anyone has any experience and opinion to share, please do so. And
> thanks for those previous replies.

Another point of confusion is what is exactly provided by these debuggers.
'sdb' on SCO XENIX may have an altogether different functionality than
that on other system. e.g. 'adb' on ultrix says that it is C program
debugger, while the same on SCO XENIX 2.2/2.3 was purely for assembly.

One of the replies that I got says that 'dbx' on SUN OS has more facilities
than that on ULTRIX. Now, which 'dbx' then to be used for comparison?

In short, the best way to compare debuggers is, I suppose, to first
find out what is supported on one's system and then compare them
by the functionality rather than by name.

-satam
Kirtikumar "Mumbaichaa" Satam
INTERNET : satam at ecs.umass.edu
BITNET : satam at umaecs.bitnet
217 Northwood Apts, Sunderland, MA 01375   Tel# 413-665-3222