Using csh commands within the system() function call

friedman scott saf at tnl.UUCP
Sun Jan 14 04:07:26 AEST 1990

I wish to use a system command that works under csh but not under sh within
a system() function call in a C program.  The line looks something like this:

   system("command_that_generates_errors >& /dev/null");

When this runs, I get an error like:

   sh: /dev/null: bad number

After looking up the system() call, I see that it will interpret the
argument as a sh command.  How do I get system() to interpret the argument
as a csh command?

                               Scott Friedman