Passwords and salts

CCEL ccel at chance.uucp
Fri Jan 12 01:24:27 AEST 1990

In article <1974 at syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>From article <85606 at linus.UUCP>, by rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org (Randy Tidd):
>> To be responsible, I would be reluctant to distribute the source to
>> anyone who is NOT a system administrator on their machine.
>
>Hmm, so how do you propose to check this? Will you believe anyone who just
>says "I am a system administrator" in their message?

A couple other people pointed this out, but in this case the code was
so simple that it didn't warrant too much "security"... it's not like
it was a fantabulous cracking algorithm developed in the bowels of MIT
or something.

If I wanted to be sure to send it to a system admin, I could just ask
that the people send me mail as root. But even this isn't failsafe. Ah
well...

Randy Tidd
rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org
#define DISCLAIM TRUE