anonymous ftp question

Eric J Peterson peterson at FSUCS.CS.FSU.EDU
Mon Jan 15 17:19:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan15.031948.17322 at athena.mit.edu>, jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

| In article <565 at csoftec.csf.com>, root at csoftec.csf.com (Cliff Manis
| (cmanis at csoftec)) writes:
| > In article <408 at lkbpyr.UUCP> jonas at lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) writes:
| > >A was wondering how I could get a program or get in touch with
| > >an anonymous ftp.
| > >I have the adress    128.42.1.30 titan.rice.edu titan
| >
| > Jonas:
| >
| > Here is a very short script and sample of a datafile which I use all the
| > time in connecting via FTP.
|
|   It may have been a good idea for you to check the source address of
| the original question before posting your response.
|
|   Since he was posting from a UUCP machine without an Internet address
| (or at least, without an Internet address that was evident in his
| posting), it is entirely likely that the original poster does not have
| Internet access.

Just because Jonas has a .UUCP suffix in his address doesn't mean that he
is without FTP ability.  By default, RN sets the "Reply-To:" field to
"%L@%H.UUCP (%N)", where %L is expanded to the poster's login ID, %H is
expanded to the name of the host, and %N is expanded to the poster's full
name.  The SA is free to change these defaults before compiling RN.  Of
course, the SA is also free to leave them alone.

If Jonas is on an Internet site, the methods mentioned previously for
anonymous FTP should work normally.  If Jonas is on a UUCP system, he
should still be able to use the anonymous FTP mail gateway on
pucc.princeton.edu, although I cannot remember offhand how (or how well) it
works.  Could someone who has used this system please post the technique
here or send me mail about it?

Hope this helps.

Eric

--