Shared libraries

David Brooks dbrooks at osf.org
Wed Jan 10 03:54:03 AEST 1990

In article <47eed587.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM>, vinoski at apollo.HP.COM
(Stephen Vinoski) writes:
> In article <1990Jan9.003208.6061 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp
(Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> >In article <941 at targon.UUCP>, ruud at targon.UUCP (Ruud Harmsen) writes:
> >> What exactly are shared libraries?  What UNICes have them?
> >
> >System V.3+, Sun OS (not sure which verson) to name a couple.
> >

> Let's not forget Apollo's Domain/OS.  Contrary to popular belief, Sun
did *not*
> invent shared libraries - honest!  :-)

Of course, there were shared libraries long before Un...I mean
Posix-like-systems...had them:

RSX-11M.
SDS (later XDS) CP-V and its predecessors.
	the above used a fixed-place transfer vector.
Primos V-mode, using name lookup and runtime pointer patching.

People even older than me can no doubt go further back.
David Brooks				dbrooks at osf.org
Open Software Foundation		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks