Underlining text in troff

james.mumper jimm at cbnewsi.ATT.COM
Wed Jan 10 01:05:21 AEST 1990

In article <129925 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> henry%angel at Sun.COM (Henry McGilton -- Software Products) writes:

>>    *  Does anyone have a good macro for underlining text in
>>    *  troff. The example in my book:
>>	    .de us
>>	    \\$1\l'|O\ul'
>>	    ..
>>    *  doesn't work.

Try this.  I have found that the macro's do not work very reliably when
used with tab settings (.ta).  Try the standard 'troff' underline and tab it.
example:

.ta .5i
	my text
	\l'.5i' (the underline, set to the length of 'my text')

This is very reliable but requires some measuring.  I use it exclusively since
I do not find the macro's at all reliable.

Jim Mumper