SEX! or, how do I mail to a lot of unix users?

Alfred Hovdestad hovdesta at herald.usask.ca
Wed Jun 6 01:44:01 AEST 1990

>From article <900531083002.30e0d06c at Csa2.LBL.Gov>, by thermal%solgel.hepnet at CSA2.LBL.GOV:
> I would like to be able to send a mail message to all the users on
> a unix machine.  Of course, I could do it the long way, that is,
> do a 'finger' or 'who', thus getting a list of all the users, and
> then sending a mail message to each, one at a time.  Is there a
> quicker way? (it seems to me there could be two or three different
> ways, such as setting up a mailing list, or some nifty command that
> will do this on one stroke of the finger).  Obviously, I'm not a
> unix guru or wizard, so make your explanation understandable, please.
>
> Thanks, Dana

We use Ultrix here, but you can check your UNIX manuals for your system.
In your .mailrc, you can define a user list for mailing a message to all
on the list.  The syntax is
alias user_list name1 name2 name3 ...
When mail is sent to the user_list, it is sent to all on the list.
There is also a system wide alias file called
/usr/lib/aliases
that contains aliases that anyone on the system can use.