Communication b/w IBM and UNIX using sockets

Kevin Johnson kjj at varese.UUCP
Fri Jun 1 04:00:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.040725.22333 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> vijay at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Vijay Gurbani) writes:
>Need some help/advice on the following: I am trying to bridge a gap between
>a UNIX box and an IBM 4300. I have to access a CICS application on a remote
>IBM 4300 (that supposedly has telnet running on it).

Out of curiousity, what is the package/hardware providing telnet on the 4300?
Is it an 8232 box?
If so, you may be out of luck :-(

The 8232 (and assoc. software), that 'I' have, accesses a 43xx at the
VM level.  I can't directly log into the 4361 at the CICS level from
a UNIX box using telnet.  Without tn3270 a UNIX box can only get
a line-mode interface into VM, due to the fact that the IBM box WANTS
a 3270-style terminal on the other end of the wire.  I can't even get
data bound for a printer LU over to a network socket to print it on
a UNIX box.

Not being a IBMer, I not in a position to be able attack the problem
from the 43xx side - I can only attack from the UNIX side.
IBM informs me that I am out of luck (this is the condensed, tranlated
version of what they told me).

> [beef deleted]
>Has anyone out there ever come close to duplicating this? Is my solution
>okay, or are there any flaws (I am not the remotely familiar with IBM main-
>frames, so if there are any flaws above, please let me know). If anyone
>has had any experience with this, and are willing to share it....gimme a
>try. Thanks in advance......

If there is someone out there with some insite into the IBM side of this
problem, let's here from them. PLEASE!

#include <standard_disclaimer>
| Kevin Johnson                                      ...!mcdphx!QIS1!kjj      |
| QIS System Administrator  Motorola MCD             kjj at phx.mcd.mot.com      |