The famous inews error

karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jun 7 06:31:34 AEST 1990

palowoda at fiver.uucp writes:
     Ok I give in.  What causes the error message from 'inews'
     inews: Article rejected: palowoda included more text than new text

You're posting a followup and you have more lines of quoted text (that
is, lines beginning with `>') than you have lines of original text of
your own.  You should quote less; quote just enough to give context
about what it is that you're following up.  Alternatively, on those
rare occasions when you truly do need to quote a lot (the occasions
when it's _needed_ are darn rare), change the quoting scheme you use.
Some people change `>' to `|' or something or that ilk.  I don't use
the `>' quoting scheme in the first place.

It's far, far better to learn not to quote so much than to override
the mechanism.  We don't need to see the entire previous article
included in your followup.

--karl