Can the output to a terminal be monitored?

Dick Gill rg at psgdc
Sat Jun 9 05:06:19 AEST 1990

In article <270 at demott.COM> kdq at demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>    Is there a way that I (as root) can "tap into" a user to monitor
>terminal activity?  I specifcally would like to do this for the modem line.

I don't know of any simple (or even not-so-simple) way to do this with
software. I approached the same problem in a quick-and-dirty way
by putting a spare terminal in the machine room, connecting a breakout
box in the data line between the computer and modem and constructing
a makeshift terminal cable that picks up the receive and signal
ground lines from the breakout box and feeds them to the terminal.
Not elegant, but it is quick, cheap and effective; you will see
on the monitor everything going over the modem line.