Summary of responses to file allocation, plea for changes in Unix

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Fri Jun 29 08:28:07 AEST 1990

In article <2387 at nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> karl-d at nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Doug Karl) writes:
>  I am in desperate need to allocate a Unix (BSD 4.3, SUN/OS, System V,
>  and NeXT/Mach) file prior to using it.  By "allocate" I mean that all of
>  the blocks in the file (10's of megabytes long) should be reserved to that
>  file instantly).
[and lots of other stuff]

If you really need it, did you ever consider, before you started collecting,
writing an extremely large file (you can write 0's, if you want)?  That
would accomplish your purpose, although be a bit wasteful.

Your situation doesn't work very well with UNIX anyway, since unix likes to
have copies of parts of files in memory, and your trick of just writing to
the disk could very well cause stuff to be lost.