Security for UNIX ... looking for crypt() ...

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Sat Jun 9 03:22:10 AEST 1990

In article <1139 at neon.UUCP> pwendt at neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) writes:

>I'm searching for the original C-source of the crypt()-routine
>which crypts the passwords for /etc/passwd. - I've written several
>crypt-programs for other mashines and even such non-recursive-
>algorithms, but I've never seen the original UNIX-crypt()-algo ...

The export of encryption technology is covered by law and regulation
with the intent that it not fall into the "wrong hands". West Germany,
as a member of COCOM, has similar restrictions.

Not only is the source code to crypt covered by these restrictions, one
can not even export the BINARIES except to certain countries, and even
then often requires an export license. If you ever get access to this
stuff, you probably shouldn't have. 8-)