Security for UNIX ... looking for crypt() ...

e89hse at rigel.efd.lth.se e89hse at rigel.efd.lth.se
Mon Jun 11 13:41:39 AEST 1990

In article <56 at raysnec.UUCP>, shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>In article <1139 at neon.UUCP> pwendt at neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) writes:
>>
>>I'm searching for the original C-source of the crypt()-routine
>>which crypts the passwords for /etc/passwd. - I've written several
>>crypt-programs for other mashines and even such non-recursive-
>>algorithms, but I've never seen the original UNIX-crypt()-algo ...
>
>The export of encryption technology is covered by law and regulation
>with the intent that it not fall into the "wrong hands". West Germany,
>as a member of COCOM, has similar restrictions.

 But are even the stuff to crypt() macros covered by that COCO-stuff. I know
crypt(1) is covered but crypt(2) is used by most systems for the pwd file.
Anyhow does anyone have a C-source to a program that can crupt ASC-II files
with reasonable security using a keyword or something like that. Is there any
encryption standard when one want to send E-mail?

 Henrik Sandell