Xenix net or TCP/IP?

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Wed Jun 27 01:08:44 AEST 1990

In article <3303 at crash.cts.com> rick at crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) writes:
>I need to network two Compaq 386 boxes running SCO Xenix.  One of
>these boxes will be upgraded to SCO Unix as soon as WordPerfect
>finishes their port.

??? I've been running a copy of WordPerfect under ISC 1.0.6 for
at least a year (they list it as their Interactive/Microport
version). This port should also run under SCO Unix, and the
Xenix version should as well. I don't see why you're waiting,
unless it's for a newer rev of SCO Unix.

>Is SCO Xenix Net the best software to use to network the two?
>When the one box is upgraded to Unix will it make the networking
>more complicated?

I'm told that Xenix Net isn't available under SCO Unix, so it's
probably not the best route to future connectivity. I'm also
told that Xenix doesn't have NFS, so you'd be blocked there, too.

>What are the best ethernet cards to use?  Is thick or thin wire
>better?  Will the hardware be compatible after the upgrade?

We use WD8001E/B cards, with thin cable, and have no problems.
That's using Novell, rather than a Unix network. I don't
understand your last question--the only hardware issue you're
likely to run into is interrupts, if you have several expansion
boards in your systems. Otherwise, they'll never notice.

Incidentally, only consider thick Ethernet for long-distance
network connections. It costs about 10x what the thin stuff
does, and requires special tap boxes. (Long-distance meaning
over 300 meters or so.)

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)