Why partition disks?

Ralph Finch rfinch at caldwr.water.ca.gov
Sun Jun 3 02:50:45 AEST 1990

In article <3419 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>1. Each file system can have at most 65,535 inodes, because the inode
>>number is stored in a 16 bit field in the directories.
>
>Speak for yourself.  There exist versions of UNIX with more modern file
>systems that have 32-bit inumbers; the original poster didn't specify
>what flavor of UNIX they have, so they may or may not have a 64K inode
>limitation on their file systems.

It's SunOS which I assume uses the 32-bit inumbers.  My thinking right
now is, one of the 1.2GB drives will be divided into 2 partitions, for
/home and /pub stuff; the other just 1 partition, for large files (we
run numerical models which tend to generate a few large files).  Most
concerns expressed so far have been about administering the drives,
which is valid, but right now we just want some handy scratch space,
mainly.
--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch at water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch