Two files, same directory, same name...

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Jun 16 08:34:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun15.090604.21916 at dasys1.uucp> tbetz at dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>Below is an excerpt of a listing of my $HOME/News directory.
>
>total 206
>-rw-r--r--  1 tbetz           0 Dec  3  1988 .comsignature
>drwxr-xr-x 11 tbetz         176 Oct 18  1988 alt/
>-rw-r--r--  1 tbetz       12756 Jun 14 06:49 applied.gw   <-----
>-rw-r--r--  1 tbetz       64775 Jun 14 06:48 applied.gw   <-----
>drwxr-xr-x  5 tbetz          80 Sep 24  1988 ca/
>

>You will note that there are two files with identical names.

No.  I'll bet you that they have different names and that the portion of
one of the name is not printable or overwritten.  For example any of the
following names will appear the same way:

	"applied.gw"
	"ax\bpplied.gw"	(\b is a backspace)
	"applied.gw "   (note space at end of name)

So do an od -bc of . (the directory) to see the different names.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170